Alexander G. Kirejtshuk (Dr. Sc.)
The list of published scientific works includes more than 200 papers in different editions
of the former USSR (Russia, Belarus, Ukraine, Latvia), Poland, Hungary, Germany, Denmark, Belgium,
Italy, Portugal, Great Britain, France, Spain, Switzerland, India, Japan, Australia, USA, as well
as more than 250 electronic publications in INTERNET, which are dealing with different questions
of the systematics, morphology and phylogenetics of the Coleoptera, taxonomy and faunistics of
the Auchenorrhyncha, ecology of insects and protection of nature, Internet technology. More than
a hundred of publications are connected with systematics and phylogenetics of the family
Nitidulidae and order Coleoptera.
At present A.G. Kirejtshuk is editor of web-site "Beetles (Coleoptera) and coleopterists", member
of the Editorial Board of the "Coleoptera of Europe" (Apollo Books), leader of palaeoentomological
team of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (RAS) in the program of the
Presidium RAS "Origin and evolution of biosphere", leader of the grant of the Russian Foundation
of Basic Research (RFBR) "Elaboration of software for multientry polytomous keys to animals in the
INTERNET on server of the Zoological institute RAS", participant of the RFBR grant "Retrospective
analysis of the macrotaxonomical diversity in the recent faunas of orthopteroid insects and
Coleoptera (aspects of the Caenozoic stage of evolution)
" and participant of the RFBR grant "The information retrievel system ZOOINT as a base of the
digital collection of the Internet-museum", coordinator of foreign affairs
at the Coordinating Soviet of the Saint-Petersburg Association of Scientists and Scholars,
participant of study of insects in French and Lebanese amber at Museum National d'Histoire
Naturelle in Paris.
A.G. Kirejtshuk was as consultant, official opponent or reviewer of more than 40 candidate
(PhD) and 15 doctor (ScD) theses defended in Russia, Armenia, Belarus, Ukraine and Spain as well
as editor of coleopterological and some other volumes of the Proceedings of Zoological institute
of the USSR Academy of Sciences.
Wife - Marina V. Kirejtshuk, born 1962 and daughter - Polina A.
Kirejtshuk, born 1986.
- 1952 - Was born in Kharkow (Ukraine) on the 9th August.
- 1969-1974 - Graduated from the Biological Faculty of the Kharkow state university.
- 1974 - Started my entomological activity (published some papers and joined the
Ukrainian Branch of the All-Union Entomological Society).
- 1974-1975 - Position of Junior Research Scientist at the Ukrainian Research Silk Station (Merefa,
- 1975 - Participation in VI All-Union Zoogeographical Conference, Kishinev
- 1975-1978 - Postgraduate course at the Zoological Institute of the USSR
Academy of Sciences in Leningrad (later Russian Academy of Sciences, St. Petersburg)
- 1978 - Position of Junior Research Scientist in the staff of the Zoological
Institute of USSR Academy of Sciences.
- 1979 - Defended the first scientific thesis (Candidate of Biological
Sciences = Doctor of Phylosophy) dealing with the "Fauna of the subfamily
Meligethinae (Coleoptera, Nitidulidae) of the USSR".
- 1980 - Visit to Eastern Germany and worked with the collections of the German museums
in Berlin, Dresden and Eberswalde-Finow.
- 1982 - I had 3 months field studies in the
Altaic Gobi of Mongolian People's Republic.
- 1983 - Participation in the Xth International Symposium on the Entomofauna of Middle
- 1984 - Participation in the IXth All-Union Entomological Congress (Kiev).
- 1985 - Election in the Council of the All-Union Entomological Society, and was
invited forto attend the meeting of the Coleopterist's society in the memory of J.L. LeConte (my report
was read by Dr. Michael Ivie from Montana State University).
- 1986 - Participation in the International meeting devoted to
investigations of biological resources of Mongolian People's Republic (Moscow).
- 1988 - Election in the European Association of Coleopterology (Barcelona).
- 1989 - Election in the Presidium of the All-Union Entomological Society,
participation in the Organizing Committee of the Congress of this Society and
participation in the Ist International Congress of Coleopterology (Barcelona),
and read lectures at the memorial and theoretic seminars and in the Department
of Entomology at the Leningrad State University (now St. Petersburg State
- 1990 - Visit to Germany to read the lecture on phylogeny of the Coleoptera at
the Albert-Ludwig University (Freiburg) and to study collections of different
museums (Stuttgart, Munchen, Berlin, Bonn, Dresden, Eberswalde-Finow).
- 1990-1991 - Work in Australia supported by the Division of Entomology, CSIRO
(Canberra), visit to some museums in Eastern Australia
(Brisbane, Sydney, Melbourne) to study collections, carrying out field
studies in national parks.
- 1991 - Completion of the thesis II (Doctor of Biological Sciences = Doctor
of Science) "Significance of Anthophagy in Historical Development
of the Coleoptera Mainly with Reference to Phylogeny of the Nitidulidae)", read
reading lectures at the meetings of the All-Union Entomological Society (now
Russian Entomological Society).
- 1992 - The thesis II was defended. Grant from the Deutsche
Forschungsgemeinschaft for study on the Indo-Malayan and African Nitidulidae in
the collection of Stuttgart Museum and a support from the G. Soros foundation. I
gave one lecture at the Zoologisches Forschungsinstitut und Museum Alexander
Koenig. I was restored among members of the Ukrainian Entomological Society
(former Ukrainian Branch of the All-Union Entomological Society).
- 1993 - Visits to the museums in Vienna, London, Washington, Chicago, Ottawa
supported by the Naturhistorisches Museum in Wien, Royal society of United
Kingdom, Smithsonian foundation in Washington, Field Museum of Natural History
in Chicago and CANACOLL Foundation in Ottawa. Joining the Coleopterological
Society at the Natural History Museum (Naturhistorishes Museum) in Vienna and European Association on International Zoological
Nomenclature. Lecture at the theoretical seminar of Montana State University (Bozeman).
- 1994 - Participation in the International Symposium on Biodiversity and
Systematics in Tropical Ecosystems (Bonn). Grant from the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft
for preparation of manuscript of the monograph "Fauna of the Nitidulidae
(Coleoptera) of the Himalayas and Northern Indochina" through the Stuttgart museum.
- 1995 - Lectures and seminars with students and lecturers on entomology
and general biology in the Kharkow State University and supervising
post-graduate students of this University. Visit to Stockholm, Copenhagen and
Tervuren (Belgium) to work with the museum collections.
- 1996 - Included in the Scientific Council at Belorussian Institute of Plant
protection (Minsk). I worked for preparation and management of the XIth Congress
of Russian Entomological Society (St. Petersburg). Participation in establishing of
the Union of Scientists and Scholars of St. Petersburg.
- 1997 - Participation in the XIth congress of Russian Entomological Society
(St. Petersburg), work in the Museum fuer Naturkunde an der Humboldt-Universitaet in
- 1998 - Stipendium from the Deutscher Akademischer Austauschdienst to work
during 2 months in Berlin and Stuttgart. Reports in Stuttgart (at the 41th
of the German coleopterists - Deutsches Koleopterologentreffen, 1998, Beutelsbach,
31. Oktober) and Frei-Universitaet (at seminar of the Institut fuer Zoologie).
- 1999 - Participation in the Internationale Entomologen-Tagung (March, Basel: DGaaE,
AEG, OeEG, XVI SIEEC), field work in the Russian-Norwegian entomological
expedition in Republic of Altai and Primorsky Kray, visit to Norway (As, Norsk
Institutt for Skogforskning) for study of Scandinavian and Himalayan Nitidulidae as
well as Sweden (Stockholm, Naturhistoska Riksmuseet) for study of pollinators
from palm inflorescence from Central America.
- 2000 - Visit to Norway (As, Norsk Institutt for Skogforskning) for study of
Scandinavian and Himalayan Nitidulidae
and rearrangement of collection of Coleoptera in the Zoological Museum at Oslo University.
- 2001 - Visit to the Hungarian Natural History Museum in Budapest,
field work in the Russian-Norwegian entomological
expedition in Primorsky kray, support of the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft to
visit Germany (Stuttgart) for work on the manuscript of the monograph
"Nitidulidae of the Himalayas
and northern Indochina" and rearrangement of the collection in Staatliches Museum fuer Naturkunde in Stuttgart.
Participation in the work of the Tagung der Arbeitsgemeinschaft suedwestdeutscher Koleopterologen in Beitelsbach.
Election in the Transcaucasian Entomological Society and Hungarian Entomological Society.
- 2002 - Participation in the 2nd Symposium and Workshop on the Conservation
of Saproxylic Beetles in Ancient Trees in London and XII Congress of the
Russian Entomological Society in St. Petersburg.Visits to London, Moscow and
Kharkov to study museum specimens and to seek for materials for the
INTERNET site of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences.
Participation in the Conference devoted to the 10th anniversary of the Russian
Foundation of Basic Research.
- 2003 - Participation in the All-Russian conference "Scientific Service in
the Network INTERNET" (Abrau-Dyurso). 2 months research at the Natural History
Museum in London. 2 weeks research at the Palaeontological Institute of the
Russian Academy of Sciences (Moscow) on fossil Coleoptera. Election in the
EUROSCIENCE. Grant from INTAS for study of fossils and palaeoclimate of the
Isle of Wight (03-51-4367).
- 2004 - Participation in the 3d International Symposium on Saproxylic Beetles
(Riga) and All-Russian conference "Scientific Service in network INTERNET"
(Abrau-Dyurso). 2 weeks research at the Natural History Museum in London on
fossil Coleoptera. Grant from the Presidium of the Russian Academy of Sciences
for the study of the origin of the recent insect fauna. Participation in the
work of the Tagung der Arbeitsgemeinschaft suedwestdeutscher Koleopterologen
in Beitelsbach. Study on jnclusions of Coleoptera in the Baltic amber of the
collections of the "Amber Society" at the Geological Institute and Museum of
the Hamburg University. One month work in the Hungarian Natural History
- 2005 - Participation in the 2d International Symposium on Biodiversity of the Himalayas
(Erfurt), All-Russian Conference "Scientific Service in Network INTERNET" (Abrau-Dyurso),
7th All-Russian Conference "Electronic Libraries, Perspective Methods and Technology, Electronic
Collections" (Yaroslavl) and Хth All-Russian Conference "Ecological problems of development of
museum-preserves" (Moscow). Grant from the Royal Society "World-wide revision of Nitidulidae
(Coleoptera at generic/subgeneric level" for 3 months work in the Natural History Museum in
London. Grants of the Russian Foundation of Basic Research "Elaboration of programs for multientry
polytomous keys to animals in the INTERNET on server of the Zoological Institute RAS" (leader)
and "The information retrievel system ZOOINT as a base of the digital collection of the
- 2006 - Participation in the All-Russian Conference "Scientific Service in Network INTERNET" (Abrau-Dyurso); IX All-Russian Joint Conference "Internet and Modern Society" (Saint Petersburg); 8th All-Russian Conference "Electronic Libraries, Perspective Methods and Technology, Electronic Collections" (Yaroslavl); 12th International Echinoderm Conference at the University of New Hampshire, Durham; All-Russian Conference "Informational systems and web-portals on diversity of species and ecosystems" (Borok). Support from Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris for 3 months work with amber inclusions. 1 week research at the Natural History Museum in London on fossil Coleoptera according to INTAS grant and 3 weeks work with collection of Cucujoidea of this museum.
- 2007 - Participation in the IV International Congress of Palaeoentomology (III World Congress on the Amber Inclusions, III International Meeting on Continental Palaeoarthropodology) (Vitoria-Gasteiz); XIII Congress of the Russian Entomological Society (Krasnodar); All-Russian conference "Scientific Service in Network INTERNET" (Abrau-Dyurso). Support from Museum National d'Histoire Naturelle in Paris for 1 month work with amber inclusions. Elected in the Linnaean Society in London and International Palaeontological Society.
Nationality - Ukrainian
Citizenship - Russian
Position - Leading Research Scientist
Place of Work - Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences
Work Address - University emb. 1
St. Petersburg, 199034
tel. work - (812) 328-12-12 (257)
fax - (812) - 328-02-21
(812) - 114-04-44
e-mail - AK3929@AK3929.spb.edu
6th linia V.O., 49, flat 34
Doctor of biological
sciences (Doctor of Science), A-T N 979008
17 July 1992
Institution of Degree -
Zoological Institute RAS
Intermediate Degree -
Candidate of biological
sciences (Doctor of Phylosophy), BL N 005350
25 April 1979
Institution of Degree -
Zoological Institute USSR AS
Last updated - July, 2007