The review process of manuscripts submitted to the Editors of the Proceedings of the Zoological Institute of the Russian Academy of Sciences (Proceedings ZIN)
- All the scientific manuscripts submitted to the Editors of the Proceedings ZIN
(hereinafter Editors) are subject to mandatory peer review. Review of the supervisor or
scientific consultant cannot replace the peer review.
- After manuscript is submitted to the Editors, the assistant editor of duty registers the
manuscript in the database and gives it a number (PZIN-year-serial number), which is
further used in internal and external correspondence of the Editors.
- The assistant editor informs the authors of the manuscript that it is received by the
Editors and registered under a certain number.
- The assistant editor checks the accordance of the manuscript to the formal requirements
(subject, volume and format) and rejects the manuscript in case of inadequacy.
- If the formal requirements are followed, the assistant editor sends a review request to two
referees, who must be well-known specialist on the subject of the reviewed materials and
have papers on the subject during last three years. At that the opinion of the authors about
undesirable referees is taken into account (see “Guide for authors”). The review request
must include the authors’s names, title of the manuscript, volume data, and information
about terms of the review (one month) and requirements to the manuscripts.
- If the referees agree to review the manuscript, the manuscript in electronic form (pdf or
doc files) and Referee’s comment form are sent to them.
- After reviews are received from the referees:
- if both reviews are positive, the assistant editor sends copies of the reviews to the
authors with a requirement to submit answer to the referees’ comments and corrected
version of the manuscript within three months of the review process (at the expiration of
this period the manuscript is considered rejected, see “Guide for authors”);
- if both reviews are negative, the assistant editor sends copies of the reviews to the
authors and informs them about rejection of the manuscript;
- if one review is positive and another one is negative, the manuscript may be sent to one
- in other controversial situations the decision on the further fate of the manuscript is
considered by meeting of the Editors.
- After the corrected version of the manuscript is received by the Editors, the assistant
editor makes a decision about acceptation of the manuscript into print or necessity of
further corrections, and informs the authors about his decision.
- After the manuscript is accepted into print, the assistant editor includes editorial
corrections in the manuscript and passes the manuscript to the assistant editor responsible
for the current issue of the journal.
- All stages of the review process are recorded in the database of the Editors.
- The originals of reviews are kept in the Editors at least five years from the date of
publication of the material or the date of the decision to reject the manuscript.
- The Editors take obligation to send copies of reviews in the Ministry of Education and
Science of the Russian Federation on request.
Download the "Referee's Comments Form".