Research interests: Population structure, morphology, chromosomal polymorphism and ecology of the White Sea fishes.
1979-1984 – St.-Petersburg State University, Department of Ichthyology and Hydrobiology, MSc
1985-1991 – Zoological Institute RAS, Doctorate
Main research areas:
In 1984-1995 I studied population structure, ecology as well as morphological and chromosomal variability of the whitefish (Coregonus lavaretus pidschian) in the rivers of White Sea basin, lake trout and anadromous brown trout (Salmo trutta) as well as migrations of pike (Esox lucius) in big Karelian lakes.
In 1995-1998 together with the Alfred-Wegener Institute of Polar and Marine Research (Bremerhaven, Germany) I worked in the frameworks of the projects “Effects of climate induced temperature change on marine coastal fishes (CLICOFI)” and “Ecology of coastal marine fishes (IMPACT)”. My topic was the influence of potential global climate change on morphology, life cycles, physiology and population biology of sea scorpions (Myoxocephalus) and eel-pout (Zoarces viviparus) from the North, Baltic and White seas. We studied morphological variability, age structure, sexual maturation, caryotypes and chromosomal variability in these two species in a wide geographical scale.
At present I am focused on the population biology, feeding and reproduction in key benthic fish species (sea scorpions, eel-pouts, wolffish, cod). The special emphasis is made on the changes in food webs and trophic relationships ob the coastal fish species in connection with the currently occurring increase in the abundance of the stickleback (Gasterosteus aculeatus).
- !! Exploration, sustainable use and protection of natural resources of the White Sea. Proceedings of the XIII conference, Saint Petersburg, Zoological Institute RAS, 2017, 290 p. (In Russian).
- Yershov P.N., Marschal C., Ereskovsky A.V., Vishnyakov A.E. 2016. New data on the longevity of coastal cod Gadus morhua Linnaeus, 1758 in the White Sea. Journal of Applied Ichthyology, 32: 350-352.
- Yershov P.N., Sukhotin A.A. 2015. Age and growth of marine three-spined stickleback in the White Sea 50 years after a population collapse. Polar Biology. Vol.38, N 11. p.1813-1823.
- Yershov P.N., Ivanova T.S., Ivanov M.V. 2015. Meristic variation of the three-spined stickleback from a small lake (Karelian coast, White Sea). Proceedings of the Zoological Institute, 319, 4: 504–507.
- A variety of interactions in the marine environment. Abstracts volume from the 49 European Marine Biology Symposium, St.-Petersburg, 2014, 116 p.
- Yershov P.N. 2011. Fecundity of three-spine stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus Linnaeus 1758 in Kandalaksha Bay, the White Sea. Bulletin of St.-Petersburg State University, Series 3, no. 4:19-24. (In Russian).
- Yershov P.N. 2010. Karyotype of the anadromous whitefish Coregonus lavaretus pidschian (Gmelin, 1788) from the Severnaya Dvina river (the White Sea). Proceedings of the Zoological Institute RAS. Vol. 314, N 4. Ð.405-410. (In Russian).
- Yershov P.N. 2010. Population structure, growth and diet of Atlantic wolfish Anarhichas lupus marisalbi Barsukov, 1956 in the Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea. Proceedings of the Zoological Institute RAS. Vol. 314, N 3. Ð.343-356. (In Russian).
- Yershov P.N. 2010. On the long-term changes in the diet composition of European sculpin Myoxocephalus scorpius (Linnaeus, 1758) in the Kandalaksha Bay of the White Sea. Vestnik SPbGU, 3 (2): 55-62. (In Russian).
- Yershov P. N. 2010. Changes in the Diet of the Coastal Cod Gadus morhua marisalbi in the Kandalaksha Gulf of the White Sea under Conditions of Increased Abundance of Three-Spined Stickleback Gasterosteus aculeatus. Journal of Ichthyology, 50, No. 1: 84–88.
- Yershov P.N. 2008. The vertebral abnormalities in eelpout Zoarces viviparus (Linnaeus, 1758) (Pisces, Zoarcidae). Proceedings of the Zoological Institute RAS. Vol. 312, N 1/2. Ð.74-82.
- Yershov P. 2005. Chromosomal studies of eelpout Zoarces viviparous L. (Zoarcidae) and shorthorn sculpin Myoxocephalus scorpius L. (Cottidae) from different parts of distribution area. Ecohydrology & Hydrobiology 5: 237-243.
- Yershov P.N. 2003. On the geographical variability of the meristic traits in eelpout Zoarces viviparus and sea scorpion Myoxocephalus scorpius (L.). Vestnik SPbGU, Ser. 3: 64-72 (In Russian).